Sunday, August 20, 2006

Shocker: LA People Don't Like Country Music

Wait ... neither does New York City. Why are we just hearing about this? I guess I can believe it about LA, because they only have prosthetic ears, but New York? I would have thought a city that was 60% immigrants would love homespun music made by people who hate everyone who doesn't love country music.* But, no, it's true. LA has apparently lost its last country music station. KZLA-FM is out of business after 20 years.

I guess there won't be any NASCAR races there any time soon. Or football games. What's up with that? Is LA totally lacking in culture or something? Not at all, say country music fans. They contend that country album sales in LA are second in the nation and that concerts regularly sell out.

Well, concerts are only 20,000 people. KZLA ranked 20th among the 80 radio stations in Los Angeles and attracted about 550,000 listeners a week. The new station will target women between 25 and 54. Amen to that.

Erik Olson, a 22-year-old barn manager (!) at Circle K Horse Rentals in Glendale had this to say, "I got back in my truck and they weren't there anymore. I called my wife and said, `What the hell's going on? They've changed their format."

Well said, Mr. Olson!

*Except the Dixie Chicks. No one likes them any more. I guess the little fat one should learn to shut her mouth.

Your Ad Here