Sunday, August 27, 2006

Andre Previn Tanks Another Marriage

It's sad but fitting that a guy who was always after the next young thing has been dumped by wife number 5, 34 years his junior.

I maintain an affection Andre Previn because I was exposed to him at an impressionable age and he was involved in a monumental event in my life - I was a college student in Pittsburgh when he was conducting the Pittsburgh Symphony and he agreed to play piano with Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Pass for a charity benefit. As a student, I got to go cheap but, more importantly, it brought Joe Pass to town and he taught me for an afternoon as part of a master class at my university.

I don't think Andre Previn's work will stand the test of time because any time someone wants to be 'edgy' by cutting up the techniques that made great works great it will be a passing fad. Yet one of the things he respected least will be his monument for all time; the score to My Fair Lady.

Andre, I have some advice for you. Sure, you know me as a Formula One race driver who solves mysteries on TV but I am also an expert on relationships, so here it goes:

You're 77, it's not swinging London any more. Somewhere out there is a wonderful, intelligent woman your own age. And I want you to date her daughter.

Your Ad Here